May12 is a joyful opportunity for the mathematical community to celebrate women in mathematics. The celebration takes place every year, all around the world. Please join us!
Time and place: May 12, 2021 12:00 PM–4:30 PM, Zoom
Why May12? Maryam Mirzakhani was born on this date in 1977. She was an Iranian mathematician and a Professor of Mathematics at Stanford University. She was one of the world’s leading experts in geometry and dynamical systems.
In Norway we are organizing an online meeting with talks, discussions and the option to watch an interesting documentary about women in science.
Do you want to attend? Please send an email to Nadia S. Larsen to receive the Zoom-link of the meeting.
The speakers are early stage female mathematicians who work at Norwegian universities. In their talks they will introduce us to their research topic and also tell about why they chose mathematics.The meeting is supported by EWM-Norway (European Women in Mathematics) but is open to all interested.
The meeting will be held in English.
Schedule for the day
- 12:30: Welcome and introduction
- 12:40-13:00: Cecilia Karlsson (University of Oslo)
- 13:00-13:20: Yushu Li (University of Bergen)
- 13:20-13:40: Stine Marie Berge (Norwegian University of Science and Technology Trondheim)
- 13:40-14:00: Break and informal discussions
- 14:00: We watch the documentary "Picture a Scientist". Each participant must register individually (before 30 April) at https://forms.gle/Uh5SX6n6pLqsRsuN7 (google docs)and watch the movie following their personal link received upon registration.The film lasts approximately 90 minutes.
- 15:40: We reconvene in our online meeting and have a discussion about academic life under the pandemic and reflections about the film.
- 16:30: Finished
Moltke Moes vei 35